Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Live From The Green Room 6/1/09

Today, after a health-conscious breakfast of Krispy Kreme hot glaze and Biscuitville biscuits, SRP hit the road. As sugared up as the drivers were, and as awesome as the first two entries into the mix contest were - well lets just say we made good time. We arrived at St. Paul's in Cary a full two hours ahead of schedule. Someone should probably check the Scripture, but I am reasonably sure that a band being on time for anything, (much less early) is sign of the Apocalypse. That would be really unfortunate too, because SRP is really starting to gel musically. The rhythm section sounds particularly good right now – and Mr. Courtright received some spontaneous applause after his solo in Long Train Running last night. (Might have had something to do with the venue, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.)

The rest of this blog was written live on the fly, so bear with me...

Right now the band is killing time in the “Green Room” @ St. Paul’s before our 7:00 start time. The current conversation is about the number of people who will be at the show – it’s a small source of nerves for this band, and probably any band, before getting on stage it seems. Not that anyone has an issue with playing to small groups, so long as the band isn't bigger than the audience, which Josh says happened to him once and it wasn't fun. Now feels like a good time to ask some general band questions, so here goes…a little impromptu interview session.

Sloan: What do you guys think about before going on stage?

Ben: I don’t think about things before shows, I try and stay open. I don’t think about the lines or anything show related. If I do, I’ll freak out.

Sam: I wonder about how the rest of the band feels. I hope that everyone is still having a good time.

Ben: I’m having a better time now that my bass sounds good again.

Sloan: If you didn’t play your part in the band, what would you play?

Josh: I would love to play lead guitar. I mean I would have to learn how, but it looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Steven: No, it sucks.

Josh: Yea I would like to rip some nasty solos and licks. Heck I might never leave my room if I could do that. (click)

Drew: I would love to play keys or organ. I like how applicable the sound is in any song.

Sam: If you can play good piano, you can rule the world.

Drew: Plus it’s easier to serenade people with a piano than with drums.

Sam: But you can’t do it outside their window.

Drew: True.

Sloan: So Steven, does the length of your hair affect your ability to rock out?

Steven: I don’t really do a whole lot of rocking out in this group….(much laughing from band).

Josh: No no, this is true. I have seen Steven rock out and what he’s doing now isn’t it.

Steven: But yes, I would say it does overall.

Sloan: Ok last question, If you guys had to pick one person in the band to perform heart surgery on you…without any prior training, who would it be?

Josh: Sam.
Ben & Drew: Josh. Josh would probably do the most research.
Sam: Sloan….Sloan has a good chance of getting it right somehow.
Steven: I pick myself. (laughter)
Josh: I feel like Sam would do everything he could to get it exactly right.

With that, the door opens and the band is told the crowd is ready - it's time for the show. Humming a little to themselves everyone ambles down the hallway, into the parish hall and onto the stage. No introduction, no preamble - straight into Heal This Land, and the Cary show is underway. I'm going to stop typing now and listen so I can help critique the show later tonight. Thanks for reading! Hope to see some of you in Gastonia tomorrow!

Tuesday's Show:

7:30
All Saint's Episcopal Church
1201 South New Hope Road
Gastonia NC

See you there!!

3 comments:

  1. There will certainly be photos coming soon! Time constraints have kept me from uploading anything yet, but tonight the band has a nice relaxing evening at the Robertson house to look forward to, and I am planning on adding some pictures then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great....gotta keep us moms happy! Love reading your blogs....

    ReplyDelete